We are a group of Silver Mesa parents who want what is best for our school staff, teachers and students. We believe this can be achieved through a PTO. The district has a policy allowing parents a vote. We first must complete a Notice of Intent and petition and then we will be allowed a vote. This blog will help educate, inform and unite through this process. Keep updated on what is going on here. UPDATE: You should have received a ballot in the mail. If you didn't and want to vote, contact the district. We encourage everyone to study both organizations and vote for the group they believe best represents their ideals.


Saturday, October 3, 2015

Key Difference

Key Difference by Holly Hendrickson, Silver Mesa Parent

One of the main differences between the PTA and a PTO is

that the National PTA is openly an advocacy organization for PTA-approved political campaigns, while a PTO is not.  I believe political advocacy should not be tied to membership in my school’s parent organization.   If I want to contribute to an advocacy campaign, I should be able to do so of my own volition.  I should not be forced to fund advocacy, just so I can be a member of the parent group at my local school. 
PTA members are essentially required to fund political advocacy through their dues.  While I don’t take issue with most of things the PTA advocates for, I do not think one should be forced to support political advocacy to be a member of one’s parent group.  Advocacy is not required in a PTO.  Groups can choose to play an advocacy/political role if they choose; however, many PTOs opt to remain focused on parent involvement, school/teacher/students support, and community-building at their local school.

No comments:

Post a Comment